Rooster eating hens calcium.

RLockhart68

Songster
Oct 19, 2020
I'm feeding my mixed flock a 50/50 blend of layer feed/all flock feed because I have both on hand and reducing the amount of layer feed in each mix until they will be 100% All flock with free choice calcium separate from the feed for the hens. (Just found out that the layer feed isn't good for roos) When I went to the coop a couple days ago my lo roo was devouring the calcium. Meanwhile the hens don't seem to be eating it at all. I have no way of making it that the roo can't get it. I do free range them most days. Haven't had any problem with thin eggshells. So my question is, should I just keep them on the 50/50 mix and not worry about the free choice? Continue with switching to complete all flock and see if I have any shell trouble? I don't want my roo to have health problems, but I don't want my hens to lack the calcium they need either.

Do you also provide grit?

I wouldn't worry about a rooster consuming the oyster shells. He shouldn't consume enough to worry about. I only feed an all flock. I quit with the layer years ago. It isn't necessary.

Do you also provide grit?

I wouldn't worry about a rooster consuming the oyster shells. He shouldn't consume enough to worry about. I only feed an all flock. I quit with the layer years ago. It isn't necessary.
With free ranging them, they have access to lots of dirt/stones. I do have free choice grit for them as well. Never see them anywhere near it and I haven't had to refill it since June, nor has it gone down.
Thank you for the advice. I will continue with the switch. I was just worried he would have health problems since he seemed to be eating more of the oyster shell than feed.
Screenshot_20201120-210116_Gallery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom