1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster eh?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fireredcannon, Oct 14, 2016.

1. fireredcannon

fireredcannon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2016
    Wells ny
    [​IMG] 5 weeks old, with a comb that big...I'm thinking that's a roo, what about you?

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy fireredcannon

Wow, yeah, that is an impressive comb for one so little. What breed is (s)he? Very cute!

3. fireredcannon

May 13, 2016
    Wells ny
    Dad's an amberlink, not sure about mom, I'm thinking amberlink due to color. Other options are black Australorp,barred rock,or Rhode island red but the plain feathering makes me doubt those 3.

4. fireredcannon

May 13, 2016
    Wells ny
    That's from my first hatch 2 made it and they both look like roo's but hatch #2 looks to have quite a few pullets

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Sorry, I am not familiar with those breeds and whether they are large combed or not.

I am definitely not an expert when it comes to chicken gender but if (s)he was one of my chicks, at that age, with that comb, I would say rooster.

6. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Can we get a pic in natural light?

7. fireredcannon

May 13, 2016
    Wells ny
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. fireredcannon

May 13, 2016
    Wells ny
    My phone doesn't take the greatest pictures, I prefer my DSLR but that's a bit more of a process to upload them

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel - very difficult to see with red light BUT the comb stands out anyway

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If Dad's an Amberlink, and mom isn't, then the chicks is a mixed breed.

Do I see faint barring? It's hard to tell in the pic, but it seem like I do. If so, the momma is the barred Rock. If not, I'm thinking the Aussie. The dominant White in the Amberlink would turn the black into white. The Red wouldn't be the momma, or the chick would have a mix of red and white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by