Rooster Emergency-Staggering/no balance-UPDATE- NOW DEAD

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThornyRidge, Oct 22, 2009.

1. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    -I have around a seven year old silkie rooster who suddenly tonight has a serious problem. The last I spent time with him was last night and he was walking around and behaving normally. Anyway tonight when I am down in the barn I noticed him laying and not getting up.. when I gave him a gentle nudge he seemed to lean to one side and then I picked him up gave him a quick look over and set him down which resulted in him literally tipping forward almost on his beak.. he then listed to one side and whipped his wings out in what appeared to be a hunched up pose. he was sitting down then but still leaning forward.. he can not walk at all.. seems to have no balance/coordination. He has been away from all animals so injury is very unlikely.. and there are no other signs or symptoms of anything.. I put a fresh bowl of food in front of him but he seemed to fall face first in it and was not eating.. I positioned him near a shallow bowl of water and food in event he wants something.. I am really stumped on this one especially since he was a-ok last night and spent day in a barn by himself.. any ideas.. I did not think 7 was that old for a rooster.. I have his brother who is doing fine down in the coop and I have a couple of hens that are two years older than this guy an ddoing fine. based on his actions I dont know if it is neurological or if he will even make it.. it looks pitiful!!! oh and when he is tipping forward/sideways he looks like he is flexing muscles as tail is kinda pulsating like..

Update: went down at 7 am this morning and he was dead. Don't know what this was but it was fast and no real symptoms other than the inability to walk/uncoordinated movements and death within less than 24 hours. Bootsy was a good rooster [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I'm bumping you up because I have a hen with the same problem. She can't walk. I can prop her up to eat but she tips forward and almost does a somersault. I hope someone can help.

3. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    see update above for those interested in this sad mystery

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have no answers for you. I just wanted to say that I am sorry on the loss of your roo. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hard to say, but he was seven years old, so could be just his time. He could have sustained a head or spinal injury, too, so no way to really know. I'm sorry.

6. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I'd guess that they can have strokes just like people. That is almost what it sounds like to me. So sorry for your loss, 7 years is a long time to get attached.

7. eekgads

eekgads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Central VA
    Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

8. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    could he have fallen from a roost?
    maybe was startled and jumped and bumped himself?

are you sure there is nothing toxic around that he could have eaten or drank?
    (rodent poison, dead rodent, motor/lawn/garden chemicals?)

I don't think it was age..roos can live a long time..

I'm sorry for your loss.

9. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    Sjisty...do you have a thread about your hen?
    have you checked her for injury?

what all do you feed?
    how old is she?
    when did she last lay?
    has she been wormed? if so, when? and what was used?
    treated for mites/lice?

describe the droppings in detail..color and consistency.

have you done a good check of the crop?
    have you done a good check of the legs? (heat or swelling in joints, raised scales or crust)

checked her feet for sores, scab, heat or swelling.

is she wheezing or have any mucus in eyes or beak?

get some Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins..Enfamil brand, no iron..give 3 drops on beak once a day for 3 days, then 2 drops for 4 days, then 1 drop for a week.

make up this mix..it's for 1 day..divide into 3 feeds for the day..give for 5 days.

1 cooked egg yolk
    2 tablespoons plain yogurt
    3-4 tablespoons regular, quick or baby oatmeal
    drizzle of honey or dab of baby applesauce
    make puffy..add feed if necessary.
    also have usual feed available.

if you have a thread, or need to start one..copy and paste this and reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by