Rooster emergency

cumminscrazy

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 7, 2013
My easter egger rooster got into my bantam roosters cage and attacked him. He is moving a little but I don't know what else to do with him. I brought him inside out of the snow and put him in the bathtub. What should I do?

Clean off the blood,evaluate the wound. You can use a saline solution to clean wounds or a diluted peroxide solution(do not get into eyes,use peroxide for initial cleaning)then clean daily with saline solution or similar product. Keep him warm(i use a hot water bottle,great for additional heat),get him to drink,give electrolytes for shock. For pain,you can give a baby aspirin(81mg)or a reg (325mg)aspirin,dose is 25mg per lb of body weight. Crush aspirin and place in water or over feed.

Repost photos after he has been cleaned up,this will give a better picture of wound management.

Last edited:
I have a rooster that has been hurt by other rooster, he isn't as bad as yours. I was getting on here in hope of finding out what i can to do for him. Maybe we can find out togethter

Get him some heat - he is probably in shock. I'm afraid that I have no experience with chicken injuries. Hopefully someone else will chime in (10 chicks posted excellent advice while I was typing). Looks like he might have lost an eye. If both, I would consider culling. :(

Last edited:
He keeps lifting his head a little and sounds like he is having issues breathing. So regular hydrogen peroxide, just diluted?

Two others roosters got to him, he had blood on his head but he is not bleeding now. He opens one of his eyes and walks around slowing. i put him by his self to keep him safe from the other chickens.by

He keeps lifting his head a little and sounds like he is having issues breathing. So regular hydrogen peroxide, just diluted?
Yes,just make sure it is diluted,so it will not sting or you can use betadine,whichever you have on hand. Then apply an antibiotic ointment to wounds(nothing ending in "caine/cane" toxic to chickens). If he had no breathing issues prior to attack,then it could be b/c he is in shock,this is why electrolytes are used.

Last edited:
Two others roosters got to him, he had blood on his head but he is not bleeding now. He opens one of his eyes and walks around slowing. i put him by his self to keep him safe from the other chickens.by
You have to get some fluids into him asap,a couple of days without food and especially water is very dangerous,chickens become dehydrated very fast. Have you supplied him with additional heat,this is important as birds cannot regulate their body temp when ill/injured.

Back
Top Bottom