Rooster "Expiration Date"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wsdareme, Dec 9, 2010.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I have two young Ameraucana roosters that have started mounting my hens. They are going to a friends house this weekend. [​IMG]

My main man is a Black Copper Marans roo, and I have 4 Marans hens. How long do I have to wait until I can be certain that their eggs have been fertilized by the Marans roo and not the Ameraucana roos? I know that chicken semen remains viable in hens for a period of time -- I just don't know how long that time period is. [​IMG]

If I'm going to incubate any of my eggs, I want to make sure that they are Marans, not Ameraucana-Marans crosses. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe I have read the sperm can live for up to 3 weeks inside the hen.
    I too have young roos soon to be 'coming of age'. Mine are 16.5 weeks old now, and I'm trying to re-home them. At what age did yours beging mounting the hens?

3. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I have read several different views on this ranging from 2-4 weeks. I would think that it would actually be longer than the justation/hatching period of 21 days, but I suppose it could be. Any poultry science majors to weigh in?

4. wsdareme

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    My Ameraucana roos are 20-1/2 weeks now. One of them started crowing several weeks ago and the other just started. The one that has been crowing the longest has been mounting the hens for a couple of weeks now.

5. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Yeah it is at LEAST three weeks. I had some buff orpington hens that were in with a EE rooster and I seperated them for three weeks and still ended up with a cute little buff chick with a brown spot on its head and muffs hahahaha

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A minimum of three weeks is the recommendation. There are instances of a hen remaining fertile 4 or more weeks after the rooster has been removed.

7. wsdareme

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Thanks for all of your input. I'll make sure I wait for a while before I incubate any of these eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by