Rooster eye turned white/sunken/pussy

RaspberryPie

Chirping
Oct 11, 2021
I got this brahma roo for free from a breeder along with some pullets I purchased. He told me the roo had been in a fight and lost, and that his eye would be swollen for a while but should be fine. I took his word for it...

Well he has been fine for a couple months, his eye was like a clear blue/green colour with no iris so I guessed he was blind in that eye.

Now out of nowhere his eye has turned white and appears to be dying?? It smells kind of off. He almost definitely has an infection.

Any advice on what to do in this situation? I feel as though it could be very dangerous for my roo but I can't really afford to take him to the vet right now :(

I've mostly seen advice for intact injured eyes or completely lost eyes. This is somewhere in between but I feel it would be better if he just had no eye at this stage.

I just don't want him to suffer

Herr is a pic of his eye now

Attachments

• 20220427_165911.jpg
    20220427_165911.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 7
The white is pus, and needs to be removed. The eye may be gone or scarred. You will need help holding him in a towel, and you can use QTips, tweezers, or other tools can be used. Some squeezing may help. Use saline or eye wash to rinse the eye, and apply either Terramycin eye ointment from feed store or plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment at least twice a day into the eye. Take pictures if possible. Here is a video of removing pus with gentle squeezing:

Well he has been fine for a couple months, his eye was like a clear blue/green colour with no iris so I guessed he was blind in that eye.

Now out of nowhere his eye has turned white and appears to be dying?? It smells kind of off. He almost definitely has an infection.
I would flush the eye with saline and keep working the pus out of the eye, then apply Terramycin eye ointment in the eye, 2-3 times a day.

Back
Top Bottom