Rooster Falling over, can't stand

MyFeatheredGirl

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Need some help. I have a rooster who has had a very hard life of almost one year. First at six weeks old he broke into a pen with a broody who just hatched. She pecked and scalped him and we found a half dead bird with no skin from his head all down his neck. 6 weeks in recovery he was out with his crew again. Over the winter when we had extremely -32 below for several days he got bad frost bite despite trying to heat in the coop. It all turned black and fell off, seemed fine. Lately he started limping, no apparent injury, both feet look fine. Today he can't stand, falls over, uses his wing to help him. He is eating and drinking find here in the house but can;t stand to do either. He has been vaccinated against Mareks. Any ideas?????

It still could be Mareks, but hard to know without a necropsy and testing for Mareks. Can you start some poultry vitamins such as Poultry Cell or NutriDrench, in case of a deficiency? Google chicken slings which can be helpful to get him upright for long periods. Place food and water right within reach. Cut holes in the sling for both legs and a poop hole. Does he have any runny or bloody poop? Get him drinking plenty of water by holding it up to his beak often. Offer some chopped egg, tuna, or wet chicken feed.

It still could be Mareks, but hard to know without a necropsy and testing for Mareks. Can you start some poultry vitamins such as Poultry Cell or NutriDrench, in case of a deficiency? Google chicken slings which can be helpful to get him upright for long periods. Place food and water right within reach. Cut holes in the sling for both legs and a poop hole. Does he have any runny or bloody poop? Get him drinking plenty of water by holding it up to his beak often. Offer some chopped egg, tuna, or wet chicken feed.
I have him inside, he has had lots of water and food, including wet cat food. I am going to get stuff for him tomorrow. Maybe an antibiotic and vitamins. He is a big baby, he love to cuddle.

No Change, If I try to stand him he will only put one leg down, I can not find anything wrong with the other, but he will not bare weight. he has been breathing with his mouth open on and off, but it is warm in the house. I did check his ears and found one caked with crusty stuff, cleaned them both, I did this because he keeps shaking his head. I start him on some vitamins in water. I have rolled him in every way possible looking for anything, thank god he is a big baby and will let me do whatever is needed. Keeping my fingers crossed.

He might be more comfortable outside in the coop in a dog crate, if he seems to be too warm. Is he eating any food? It’s good you got his ear cleaned out. You can put some hydrogen peroxide into his ear canal, clean it out, and fill the canal with plain triple antibiotic ointment.

Is he holding the leg up, like it is sore or injured? That might be more of an injury than a neurological sign of Mareks.

That is what I am thinking is an injury, he had been limping before this. He is eating and drinking but needs help cause he can't stand. It is cold and snowing here so I hate to have him in the coop on the floor by himself where it would be hard to keep warm.

Do you have a room where you can lower the thermostat? Google “chicken slings” for some pictures of homemade slings to get a chicken upright to take pressure of his legs, to let them heal, but keep him in front of food and water. These work well for several hours at a time, if he doesn’t try to jump out, and you can let him sleep lying down at night.

You mentioned he sometimes breathes with his mouth open. Is he gasping at all? Does his comb seem dark, or bluish/purpleish at all?
On his leg that he won't use, do any areas seem inflamed, or warmer than normal, all the way up to his hip joint? I find it useful to compare to a "good" leg, in this case, to see if I notice any differences.

Back
Top Bottom