Rooster falling over

deb metzbower

Hatching
Jun 20, 2016
My 3 year old rooster has been acting weak and unbalanced. He's eating, and manages to get up the energy to run from me if I try to pick him up. I looked him over and found no signs of injury. The rest of the flock is healthy. This started 3 days ago rather suddenly. The same night it started I discovered a screech owl above the chicken pen. Including a photo.

Start down the list of possible problems and rule out based on symptoms. Any sneezing,runny nose/eyes indicating respiratory problems. How does his crop feel and poop look? When did you deworm last? Worms can cause intestinal blockage.

Rooster eating high calcium layer pellets can end up with damaged kidneys.

And, Mark's is something I always suspect. I have seen it come on gradual as you describe symptoms. Though usually you find them down and paralyzed, hence common name of pasture paralysis.

Dehydration is common in summer. That might not be his problem, but is something to consider. Give electrolytes in the water, and place waterers in several shaded places around the ranging area. Have you recently added new birds or have they been exposed to any others?

I'm new to this site. Learning the ropes. No new birds. Nothing new of any kind. He eats purina layena crumbles with added calcium, oysrlter shells and manganese. I checked his water bowl, which is the black rubber feed bowl found at feed stores, and discovered a thin layer of red (algae?) on the bottom. First time I've seen this. No signs of respiratory problems. Haven't seen his poop yet, but I'm not seeing anything unusual in the chicken yard. Crop? What symptoms am I looking for? He not worse today, but not better. Any help is much appreciated.

There is good article about crop health and diagnosis of troubles on BYC that Two Crows wrote.
Crop should be empty in morning coming off roost and full going to roost.
Algae can cause toxicity. Biofilm buildup in waterers can cause trouble.

Is he eating and drinking today? You might give him some chopped up egg or tuna, just to coax him to eat. He really doesn't need layer feed and extra calcium or oyster shell in his feed--just the layers need that, and too much calcium can cause gout which can affect the legs and kidneys. With mixed flocks, many use an all flock or flock raiser feed. I do feed layer feed to my roosters, but the extra calcium (oyster shell, crushed egg shells) goes in a separate container available to those who need it free choice. Is he passing droppings? Sometimes they can get a blockage in the gizzard from long grasses.

Back
Top Bottom