Rooster favors certain hens

NoSpringChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
SE PA
I hope someone can help me....I have a game rooster with 4 hens; 2 are game hens and 2 are barred rocks. He mates with all of them, however, is very rough on the barred rocks. When I let them free range the two barred rocks go one way and the roo and 2 game hens stick together around the coop/nesting box. The barred rocks don't want to go back in the coop and can't lay their eggs in the nesting box....Right now I separated the roo from all of them.

Also, when he does mate with the barred rocks...the other two game hens help him corral the barred rocks...it's like everyone is ganging up on my precious sweet rocks....

Are hens ever afraid of roos? He's a nice looking roo and I really don't want to get rid of him just yet.

any suggestions?

I don't have any real solutions for you, I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. My rooster has a favorite, too. She looks so terrible from his attentions. Poor, ugly girl!

Another hen has recently refused to sleep in the coop with him. She was trying to roost on the fence at night. So, I put a roost in one of my broody boxes for her, and now she seems to be happy. My broody boxes are like little doghouses. I think it's sad that she'd rather sleep alone, or even out in the open, to get away from him!

We are contemplating chicken and dumplings. But that doesn't sound like an option that you want to consider, so maybe you could get more hens. You know, spread the love around.
roll.png

Exactly Lauralou.......you are going through the same thing as I am.

The first night the rooster was back in my care one of my barred rocks was missing during roost time..... and my other barred rock didn't want to go in...I was up all night worried that a fox got her....But the next morning, thank God, she was just outside the coop. I would let them free range, God Bless them they are good hens, but I don't want foxes to get them and also, they will not lay their eggs in the nesting boxes. My land is too large to go searching for their precious eggs; it would be like a needle in a haystack.

I'm building a coop, but already I'm thinking it's too small. I need one with many rooms.

I wonder if I'm being over-sensitive to this or if I should just put them all together and let them figure it out????

No, I don't think you're being over-sensitive. Roosters don't care that they may be scarring the hens, keeping them nervous and possibly undernourished by being too scared to get to the food dish , or leaving them subject to infection from open scratches that may never get the chance to heal. Keep trying to find a way to protect those girls.

I've now noticed that the other game hens are frightening my rocks and won't let them nest or eat......is this taught behavior?

Maybe the game hens are using the opportunity to make the currently insecure "favored" hens lowest in the pecking order.

I've been having issues with my roo wanting to be to controlling with his girls and aggressive with us. I have a crate I lock him in for a couple of days when this happens and then he is good for a few days. I'm wanting hatching eggs so I can't get rid of him, just yet and crating him seems to be helping calm him down and give the girls a break. It might be something for you to try. If you decide you need saddles just follow the link in my sig for a couple of patterns. One is no sew and the other has some sewing.

Quote:
Mine is in a crate also......but next to the chicken run. The hens seem more like themselves and aren't quite as nervous now knowing he is in jail.

He's a nice rooster....doesn't chase anyone, doesn't bite....he just thinks he's big stuff and owns the place.

I haven't decided what to do with him. I also want the fertilized eggs to give to some homeschoolers so they can hatch a batch for learning.

Thanks for all your support!

Back
Top Bottom