1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by erinc, Oct 1, 2016.

1. erinc

erinc Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Louisville Ky
    I've switched all my girls over to Layer Crumbles. Is it okay that my Rooster eats this as well? This is their only feed, other than treats and what they find while free ranging.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. There is no reason why you have to feed layer. There is no magic ingredient in it. A grower feed is a better choice for your flock, especially since you also give treats and free range. Just be sure to have some crushed oyster shell out for those that need it.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2
    The best feed for a rooster is one with 1% calcium (non-layer) and from 12-15% protein.

4. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    yeah but cant find an organic one in pellets for all purpose or starter or grower.... bought the crumbles for a while and they mostly pecked thru it so powerdy
    thanks all

5. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Yeah, I wish there was an organic all flock pellet.

6. erinc

erinc Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Louisville Ky

Yes they've got plenty of oyster shells and their egg shells washed and crunched back up for their taking!!
    So it's best to stick with grower?! The only grower I can get in stores is starter & grower medicated is that sufficient?

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Medicated feed should not be fed long term. It can cause thiamine deficiencies if fed long term. Unmedicated starter, grower, all flock, or flock raiser feeds are all good, safe choices for all ages, stages, and genders.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Roosters can be fed layer feed....Old wives tale....It will not hurt the Rooster one bit.....

Cheers!

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It does hurt them, it just takes awhile. If you only plan on having a rooster around for a short time, there is no problem with feeding layer. But if you plan on keeping him for years, all that calcium will build up in the kidney and eventual cause it to fail. It is not a wives tale. It is fact. Layer feed will shorten a rooster's life span by several years.

10. HeyHouse

HeyHouse Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    I second junebuggena's response.

I will say that I DO feed my rooster layer pellets. I keep him with my hens, so it's hard to keep him out of the pellets. He gets a lot of other food though because he's free range and I feed him scrap food too, so I hope it's offset by that.

He's 2 years old and still healthy and keeping my hens fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by