1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jenni22776rn, Apr 15, 2011.

1. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    Kind of a silly question..I tried to find a post but came up empty..I have read what to feed my ladies..and teenager pullets, and what to feed my chicks....but do I have to feed my Roo something diffrent? Do I feed him layer feed as I do with my ladies? My little 13 week old BO's are getting ready to go into the real coop..do I have to put out his own food bowl? [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have heard that until they are fully developed the cockerel should not have too much calcium in the diet so staying on 15% grower is fine. But once they are full grown I think they can eat layer feed just fine, Mine do atleast.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have a mixed flock. Hens, a grown rooster, pullets and cockerels. I feed all of them the same food. I take Purina Flockraiser, mix it with gamebird food and put out oyster shell free choice. The laying hens are the only ones that eat the oystershell. I mix the gamebird food in to increase protien. Works really well for me!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Just like the pullets, young roosters should not have too much calcium until they are pretty much grown. They can develop bone or kidney problems. But once they are around 18 to 20 weeks old, they are pretty well grown and should be able to handle the extra calcium, just like the non-laying pullets and hens do. If you are going to feed the laying hens layer, you don't have a lot of choice. He is going to eat what they eat.

I feed all my flock grower with oyster shell on the side when I have younger chickens in with the laying hens. That way the ones that need the calcium can eat oyster shell and those that the extra calcium could harm don't have to eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by