1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ashlaar, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ashlaar

ashlaar New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    hi , i just got a rooster about 3weeks ago didnt get much back round on him his owner said he about 2 yrs my question is, he dosent crow and doesnt like to walk around much and his feet look stange if someone can let me know if they think something is wrong with his feet[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That looks like a serious case of scaly leg mites.

There's lots of different things you can do to clear it up. Coat the leggs/feet with something oily to smother the mites. oil, vaseline, bag balm etc. and gently scrub the feet with a toothbrush. It will take a while.

Imp

3. ashlaar

ashlaar New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    ty for your replys , i feel really bad ,but now i can fix him up ty

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Don't feel bad, stuff happens.
    He's lucky to have you to take care of it.

Imp

5. MellowBird

MellowBird Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    I wrap my chickens in a towel with their feet sticking out and use a toothbrush to smear coconut oil (grocery store) with neem oil (specialty health food store) in it. I used a 4 oz jelly jar and my ratio is about 4 oz of coconut oil and one full dropper of the neem oil in it.

It works really well, I did this a few times a week at first then tapered off to once a week. I also use DE in the coop and run. My chickens feet were noticeably better every week but never went back to completely smooth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by