Rooster?? Female Golden Comet?? This is driving us crazy!!!

bekahlou

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
My daughter received 25 Golden Comet pullets through the 4H Pullet project. We were supposed to have all females. But...one sounded like it was trying to "cockle-doodle-do" (forgive me...I am not chick savvy). We were told that the females can have combs, upturned tails, etc. But I am getting worried. We have 5 that we think are roosters. I am hoping that someone can tell me something. We wanted "layers" only and NO chicks for the future. I hope that someone can help solve this mystery!!! Can anybody tell me how to download the pictures to this post??

Last edited:
You have to have at least 10 posts before you can download pictures.

Golden Comet Roosters and Hens are different colors. The roosters are all white while the hens are red/gold in the front with "white underwear".

Here's what they look like:
12477_1056-2t.jpg

Last edited:
If they are all golden comets, then if they're gold they're hens, if they're white they're roosters. Great pic provided above!

Quote:
Thank you so much! That brown/gold one looks just like the ones we have. People were trying to tell us that with the "goozle(?)" and the upturned tail that it was a rooster. So all the roosters for this breed are white? Some have the red facial markings and some don't? I could never get anyone to give a straight answer. Y'all have helped a lot! While I may ignorant to the chicken world, my daughter, husband, and daddy have done wonderful with them. So no fear with my ignorance in thinking they aren't being taken care of. LOL I am just ready for the eggs!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thank you so much! That brown/gold one looks just like the ones we have. People were trying to tell us that with the "goozle(?)" and the upturned tail that it was a rooster. So all the roosters for this breed are white? Some have the red facial markings and some don't? I could never get anyone to give a straight answer. Y'all have helped a lot! While I may ignorant to the chicken world, my daughter, husband, and daddy have done wonderful with them. So no fear with my ignorance in thinking they aren't being taken care of. LOL I am just ready for the eggs!
big_smile.png

Goozle? lol If they mean the red fleshy part of their heads, the part that sticks up is called a comb and the part that hangs down the neck is the wattles. How large they are depends on the breed. In some breeds, the hens can have a very large comb.
Maybe this drawing will help. I think turkeys have goozles, not chickens.
12477_golden_comet.jpg

If you have 5 that have suddenly developed redder combs and wattles, and they are about 4-5 mos old, those are the girls that are developing faster and will lay first.
smile.png

lol you're right, even guarenteed gender birds can get confusing if you've never owned them! You've gotten good info from the other posters. The roosters of this breed are noticeably a different color, even from birth. If you got a box-ful of caramel colored cuties, then you're in the clear!

And it does sound like you've got girls that are starting to think about laying within a month or two. Their combs and wattles seem to pop up overnight, and redden like crazy! Then there's the unholy racket they make for a couple of days... "omg I'm totally thinking of laying an egg soon, AND EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW!!!"

lol I thought a predator had gotten to my girls the first time I heard one of them doing that.

Back
Top Bottom