Rooster Fertile Rate? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken0Boy, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 1 rooster with 5 hens ((I think) I know the rooster is a boy though).....I cracked some of our eggs tonight and none of them are fertile. I found a little white spot in the egg when cracked, but I compared it to some of the fertile eggs on BYC...way to small of a spot. Is there anything I can do to make the fertile rate higher?

P.S. The rooster is a Cochin and the hens (I think) are 2 frizzles and 3 silkies.

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have you seen the rooster mating the hens? He may be too immature to get the job done. With cochins it is frequently necessary to remove some of the fluff from their backsides so that they are able to make contact with the hens.

3. Chicken0Boy

I dont know if this means anything, but I have seen him trying to bite there neck from the side!
    How would I go about removing this "fluff" from the backside?

4. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    you do know you can not tell if a egg is fertile by cracking it you have to incubate and then candle the eggs.
    that is an old wives tell just like you cant eat eggs if you have a rooster with your hens. just some of my in put

when i first got chickens i thought they had two holes lol one for pooping and one for eggs lol
    boy did i learn a thing or two . i hit the books hard after that. now 6 years later........ i think i was dumb
    we have a saying now after i learned that "fresh out of the chickens butt !"
    when i go to get eggs i tell DH i have to "go squeeze the chickens "lol

GOOD luck

5. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    oh i have found too when you have one roo they can get lazy. i usually always raise two brothers to keep as my roos. more fertily and insurance case of loses

6. Chicken0Boy

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:this is incorrect information, you can indeed tell if eggs are fertile by cracking them open, look through past post and you will see what a fertile egg looks like

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:This method is widely accepted on BYC as accurate; that's how it came to be in a sticky. Note the thread was written by a moderator.

9. Chicken0Boy

Quote:This method is widely accepted on BYC as accurate; that's how it came to be in a sticky. Note the thread was written by a moderator.

So can I see a bulls eye when I crack the fresh egg or do I have to incubate for a day or so?

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Sorry, but I disagree. You CAN tell whether an egg is fertile. Here's a link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

I
    have two laying flocks, one with three roosters, and one that has never had a rooster. Using this method, most of the eggs from the first flock test fertile, and all of the eggs from my second flock test infertile.

Chicken0Boy, how old is your rooster? Most roosters "figure out" how to breed hens, but rarely some just never will. I have this one rooster who's almost two years old, and he still doesn't "make contact" 90% of the time. I've kept him this long because he's really docile and has good genetics that I'd like to pass on to chicks, but I think he's going to freezer camp...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by