Rooster Fertility

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by enggass, Nov 29, 2016.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Are Roosters infertile during the winter months when the hens are not laying?
    I was reading about adding winter light and someone mentioned to remember that it takes about 4 weeks for the Rooster to become fertile again...
    All theories welcome.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience day length does have an effect on hormonal levels in roosters. Roosters tend to breed less when day length is short and testosterone levels are lower, but I don't think that they become infertile. If you are planning on incubating eggs, just check for the 'bullseye' appearance of fertile eggs.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Fertility is definitely impacted in the fall/winter. My 7 month old cockerel is only at about 50% fertility rate. My 18 month old rooster is at about 30%. Fertility isn't nonexistent, it's just greatly reduced. The drive to mate just isn't there like it is in the spring/summer.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Roosters killed and processed during short day length periods will actually have testicles that are decreased in size as compared to those processed during long day length periods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by