1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster fertility

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jbb23, Jan 20, 2007.

1. jbb23

jbb23 New Egg

Jan 20, 2007
    I have had one rooster (for about 8 hens) for 3 years now and when our broody hen decided to follow thru all the way this year and hatch out some chicks of course several of them were roosters also. Obviously he is operational but I'm wondering if I would be better off dispatching him and keeping one of the 6 month old off-spring in case his fertility is going down hill and I really only want 1 rooster.
    Basically I'm asking what is the fertility lifespan of an average rooster. If it makes a difference we will probably let our broody try again in the spring if she is so inclined.
    Thanks,
    Jase

2. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    I have seen and heard of rooster up in years, 5-10, still being quite fertile.

3. bootita

bootita New Egg

Feb 26, 2009
    hi, i got two bantams last summer from a yard with two roosters. three weeks later we had bb chix! now one of the babies is a teenage rooster (5mos) and is always trying to hop on the moms. he's a real pain to the other chix so we might eat him.
    my questions: when do roosters become fertile? and when are they old enough to eat?
    thanks! cat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by