rooster fertility

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shadowpaints, Jun 16, 2011.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    at what age does a roosters fertility go down? i have a 4 year old silkie roo in with 10-12 hens and my fertility has gone down to 50% a few weeks ago it was nearly 100%

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THis is what I read in a book called A Guide to Better Hatching by Janet Stromberg; the graph shows a marked DECREASE in egg fertility from early May to December.But no clear answer about how to increase the fertility. It was under a section that also talked about the effects of daylength and lights on egg production but did not go so far as to say seasonal infertility could be addressed by keeping a rooster under lights. Maybe because in our hemisphere the day length is still increasing. Sorry not a great answer . . .

3. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    My Silkie fertility issue was caused by too much fluff. I had trimmed them, but they soon molted and it grew back really fast.

4. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i will try trimming their rears, should i do the hens or roosters or both?

5. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    It may be fluff or it may be heat, we see fertility decrease during the hot weather (above 90). Age doesn not really play a role we have breed from 7 and 8 year old males with no problems except in teh heat. For th ereally hot time of year if you plan to continue to hatch try using a cockrell they are ussually much more active in the real hot weather while the older males tend to take a bit of a break.

6. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    Quote:its not hot here yet.... just in the 70s. hoping trimming helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by