Rooster Fight Bleeding Involved!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CluckAcres, Jan 27, 2013.

1. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    I just had two roosters get into a big fight and now one of the roosters waddles are bleeding and torn some. Blood all over him and just pretty much pouring out. I put flour on them and it seemed to slow down the bleeding. Do I just keep coating the waddle for awhile to make sure it stays and if so how long should i keep doing this? I put him in a cage inside the house. Any Advise helpful!!

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    There is nothing to worry about. Chicken blood is the world champion at clotting. Many commercial hatching egg producers cut the waddles completely off their brood roosters because of sanitation and safety reasons.

After 60 years around commercial as well as hobby chickens I have never heard of or saw one rooster that died from loss of blood for this reason, even when his waddles were cut completely off. However a rooster who is over heated and exhausted is in danger of catching pneumonia, especially when he is confined to a box indoors where he can't move around, which helps clear his lungs.

3. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    I brought him indoors and gave him a rinse bath because he had blood all over him and had to wash him off to see where all he was bleeding. Thats how i found out it was his waddles that were bleeding. I dried him off good and put him in a cage (rabbit cage) he can walk around in there and have food and water in for him. Was this the wrong thing for me to do. I figured if the bleeding is stopped and doing well then I would let him back out tomorrow. Would he do better if i just kept him in the barn tonight in the cage instead of in the house? I have never had this kind of problem before so its new to me. I have a hospital in the barn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by