rooster fight! help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bobzant, Mar 16, 2013.

1. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    I had roos gang up on my pretty dark brahma. His eyes are swelled shut and he has no feathers left on his head. So far we have tried soaking the blood off. Dissolved a baby asprin and slowly giving it to him. Idk what else ro do. How do I get the swelling to go down? Please help. I already lost my sweet blrw peaches this morning for unknown reasons.

2. da417

da417 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    I am so sorry. I think just getting everything cleaned up will help. I am not sure about aspirin. It can thin the blood and cause more bleeding....but i am no expert here. I just have not heard of that.

3. amnich

amnich Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    I assume you have him separated - if you don't you need put him by himself. Put some sort of chicken-safe antiseptic on it so that he doesn't get any infections. Benadryl may help for the swelling, but make sure you do not overdose your chicken. Use only a very very small amount, like no more than 1/2 mg at a time and no more than like 2x per day. One of my friends swears by putting some sort of black chicken-safe powder over wounds like that (I'm guessing she got it at TSC, but I would think even baby powder is fine) so that the injured chicken and the other birds do not mess with the red or effected area, and to help clot and dry the wound up. Make sure to not touch the eyes, it is a very delicate area. Sorry about your other chicken :(

4. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    We have him in the house. He refuses to eat even tasty treats like scrambled eggs. And he chokes on water if I try to get him to drink.

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    If he doesn't start eating before long, on the "Baytril for Birds" page on my site there are instructions on how to put liquid down a chicken's throat, & you could also give soft foods that way.
    So sorry for he got injured, and for your loss of your dear hen! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by