1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster fight - one in bad shape

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Galore3, May 7, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Two of my roosters got into a fight tonight. We walked into the coop to see the dominant rooster cornered by the other. We separated them and found that the one wasn't hurt at all, but the dominant one seems to be missing his left eye. There is a good amount of blood on his face, but I don't see any open wounds. His right earlobe is black and purple and swollen, and I think his head in general is swollen up. Is there anything I can do for him? Would pictures help? He doesn't seem to be hurt anywhere else.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would put antibiotic ointment on the eye. Keep him separated from the flock until he recovers, and understand that it will probably be impossible to return him to the flock as long as the other rooster is still there.

3. Pics would be very helpful. Keep him separate from the others, they might injure him more. I hope he gets better soon!

4. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Would I put antibiotic ointment directly on the empty eye socket? Yes, I separated him from the others, as well as the one who attacked him. (Making plans to get rid of that one.) I tried to wipe off the blood/dirt on his head, and it looks like his jaw is slightly askew. Is it possible that it is dislocated/broken? How would I test that? I will post pictures soon.

5. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd prefer an ophthalmic ointment or drop, but without that I would use any non pain relief antibiotic ointment. Frequently with peck wounds to the eye the tissue around the eye swells so much that it appears as if the eye is missing. Once the swelling goes down and the infection clears up the eye may still be there.

6. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    [​IMG]
    This is the side that lost an eye.

[​IMG]
    The earlobe is swollen up quite a bit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have much hope for him surviving the night. :( His breathing is pretty labored.

7. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wow he suffered a real beatdown. What breed was the other rooster? Don't give up on him. I have seen equally bad or even worse roosters survive. Frequently after such a beating their spirit is 'broken' and they become very fearful.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  8. I have had the same thing happen to my rooster. He had a really bad beat up and I had to keep him inside. I eventually got rid of the other rooster and he recovered.
    I have seen chickens survive things that I thought that they should have died from... Don't give up hope on yet.
    Praying!

9. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Wasn't able to do anything tonight as I didn't have the right ointment...really hoping he survives until morning because I have an idea of what to do now. The rooster who beat him up was his son, actually, a Orpington/EE mix. Big hunk of a rooster, really pretty, but I've been thinking I needed to get rid of him for a while now. He's never been quite content with being second best. My third rooster (pretty close to the bottom of the pecking order) isn't sure what to do, being the only rooster in the coop at the moment. Hopefully he doesn't get a big head too.

10. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hope that he is starting to do better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by