Rooster fight - one in bad shape

Update: Chickens will never cease to amaze me. Dumbledore was out there CROWING this morning! Looks like he still has some spirit. :) The swelling has going down some, and I think the eye is actually still there. I can now see where the wounds actually are now. I put blukote on his comb and dabbed some antibacterial essential oil (Melauca oil) around his eye. (I've used it on chickens before with success. Hoping it will help.) I got him to drink maybe a spoonful or two of water.

Good news - swelling seems to be going down still, and he's moving around a little bit. Bad news - his eyes are still shut, he won't eat/drink, and he has little white bugs crawling on his face. Sigh. Wondering if it's lice or mites.

One of his eyes is now open! The one side of his face looks pretty normal, but the other still looks pretty beaten up. He is definitely getting better though. I saw him drinking on his own today, and his food dish shows signs of him eating. He's a trooper!

sounds like the one that beat him up needs to be relocated or meet the business end of a shovel

dont give up on him, sounds like he will make it....The other one has to go....no choice...this will happen again

So glad your boy is recovering. Be sure to give him some vitamins to help him with his strength during this time. I adore roosters, wish they didn't have such high bursts of testosterone and get in fights :( Right now we have two banty roosters we are attempting to introduce to each other. Supervised visits only for now! I love them both dearly and would hate to see them tear each other up.

Some extra protein helps speed the healing process. Some scrambled eggs or even raw beef might jump-start his appetite.

Extra protein, got it. He is eating pretty well now. The one side of his face is back down to normal size except for right around his eye. Is left earlobe is still pretty swollen, but I think he's going to be alright. Thank you guys so much for your help! When this happened on Saturday, I had a friend over who "wanted a taste of farm life"....I daresay she got some!!

Back
Top Bottom