1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Fight one is hurt pretty bad.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gundawg, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Gundawg

Gundawg Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2016
    Ridgefield, WA
    My dominant Cockerel is now the subordinate and a new alpha has taken his place the biggest one a Buff Brahma has always been number 1 and he was ornery to the hens and the other cockerel sometime last night or early this morning they had a heck of a fight and the Buff Brahma lost I can see where he was hiding his head in every corner of the coop. He is missing a lot of feathers on his head and neck and a nasty spot on his rear near his vent. When I found him he was hiding under the ramp to the house with his rear in the air I thought he was dead but when I touched him he ran in the coop from the run area and hid his head in a corner with his rear up again. At first I thought something got into the coop or run and got him but then the other cockerel came in the hen house and started to attack him again until I ran him out.

I have isolated him in another pen and my wife and I washed his wounds the best we could with a wash cloth the wife doctered him up with antibiotic cream. I plan to leave him in the other pen until he gets better or dies. My big question is will I ever be able to return him to the flock? I am wondering if he is subordinate to the other bird will their be piece or will the other bird attack him again? The thing is he always picked on the whole flock ran them off food and was just nasty to the other birds. The new alpha never pecks the hens or runs them off food I guess he just finally stood up for himself and won the fight. I caught him today to see if he would try to attack me but he did not it took me a few minutes to corner him but I was able to handle him just fine once I caught him. I am new to raising chickens so I am not sure how they behave. I will post a picture of them both.

Is there anything special I should do for his wounds? He bleed pretty bad and the spot on his back and rear looks bad.

Mike

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    How big is your run?

How much Hens do you have?

I would go to tractor supply they have healing medicine for wounds

3. Gundawg

May 21, 2016
    Ridgefield, WA
    The coop or hen house is 10' x 12' the run is 24' x 16' I have 16 pullets about 24 weeks old (cockerels are same age as pullets) 2 are laying and 1 hen 18 months old that is not laying she is molting. I don't have a close by Tractor supply but we have another farm store close by I will check them.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  4. Gundawg

May 21, 2016
    Ridgefield, WA
    Here are the pictures I am not sure if you can see the bad wound he did not want me getting very close right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is how he looked a couple weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

This is the barred rock after the fight I don't see anything wrong with him and I caught him and looked him over.
    [​IMG]

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    The recommended hen per rooster ratio is 10-12 Fighting is bound to happen with two sex driven cockerels.I would recommend giving them more space to decrease fighting

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Also barred rocks are know for being aggressive

7. annaBsChick

annaBsChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2014
    Herndon, VA
    I had a similar issue happen with my cochin/silkie roosters, and they were raised together. The younger son decided he wanted to go after his dad. So they are now getting their own separate runs. While the second run is getting built, I put one in a large dog carrier (however I had to put 1/4in hardware cloth around the openings since they continue to try to peck at each other) and rotate them, so that just one is not confined to the carrier for any length of time.

It is unlikely they will ever get along again together, and if you do try, the little one that was already attacked might end up dead :/ So I wouldn't risk it :/

8. Gundawg

May 21, 2016
    Ridgefield, WA
    Thanks they are actually the same age and the bigger one is the one that got hurt. He is big and clumsy. That is my big question at this time is will they ever be able to be together again?

9. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    The thing about separating is Chickens are social animals and like being with each other.I would give him away to a new home

10. Independence

Independence Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Much of the outcome depends upon the rooster who lost. If he is content to be subordinate then all may go well. I have multiple roos in both my clans and they do very well once established. Much of it depends upon the personality of the cockerels and how much space they have (and how many hens you have).

Once the little guy recovers you may want to keep him in a dog kennel or cage near the flock. The other rooster will get used to having him around. Otherwise, the re-introduction could be worse.

/Indy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by