1. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    So today our Cochin rooster and Silkie rooster decided they want to fight! It's weird because they have never fought before, usually the Silkie just goes on his way and doesn't bother anyone. I guess the Cochin really wanted to fight because I broke them up, putting the Silkie in the coop and the Cochin was trying to fight with him through the fence. The Silkie got the worst of it, his comb was bleeding pretty bad. So I took him in the house, cleaned up his wounds, gave him a bath and applied Blu-Kote to his comb. Is there anything else I need to do with his comb? There's some skin missing on it and his eye is a little bit swollen but after his bath he opened it up. He sometimes gasps for air, but I cleared his nose and he seems to be doing a lot better. He has a appetite but I haven't seen him drink yet. This is the first time I have ever witnessed this and it's a good learning experience, especially since I'm in 4-H as well! Thanks for any help! [​IMG]

2. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

With Roos, especially maturing ones, they like to see who is the top dog. But I am glad that you broke it up. Because sometimes they are even matched so they will go till one gives and if they share the same coop that means bullying from the Alpha. I have a handful of males in with a gaggle of hens and there are an Alpha, Beta, and Slider (a third but not by rank) the top two tolerate eachother. Often they mate the same hen one after another. Or they breed certain hens and the slider knows that he jumps and run. He is tolerated but not all the time. The others stay well out of harms reach just to eat. The Hens avoid them because they are not graceful and they gang. They stick to the Alpha & Beta. But when Alpha calls the gals run because they know he has food and will submit without protest. Same way with Beta but not much. The slider will fight with the other low ranking males but they usually get it broken up by Alpha or Beta. Hens do it too. But I believe your silky will recover well. Great Job on the care for him. Sorry I kinda went off subject. But I hope they can still get along. If not I would suggest placing each in separate housing if the quarreling persists. Especially if they are going to be show birds if that is what you are going to do with them.

3. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    Quote:Thank you so much for this information! We are still 'new' to chickens, only had them for about two years! We actually have three roosters our Polish and Cochin get along ok, but just exactly like you said, they both mount the hens! When I first saw them do that I was just shocked. Our Silkie is probably the most laid back rooster I have ever seen, maybe that's why he was the target! But thank you so much, we will most likely have to separate the Cochin from the rest or else my mom said I'll have to rehome him which I can't do because he's my baby! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by