1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Fight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoByTwo, Mar 12, 2011.

1. TwoByTwo

TwoByTwo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Western KY
    This morning woke up to find both my roosters out and fighting. My polish roo is hurt pretty bad. He has is really bad cut up on his leg his face is all bloody and his back is missing feathers and cut up. I washed all his wounds and put neosporine on them. I there anything else I can do for him. He is a very important part of our family and we will do whatever we can but we don't have a vet anywhere around here that will treat chickens. Help please.

2. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Seems like you did everything right. Now just set him away from the others or bring him into the house for lots of treats and lovins and wait for him to heal.

3. TwoByTwo

Jan 20, 2011
    Western KY
    He is in my lap right now cover up with a blanket sleeping. It breaks my heart to see him like this.

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    They can really do some damage to each other..... Keep an eye out for infection, and definitely keep him away from the others until he heals up a bit.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I've heard favorable remarks about aerosol bandage sprays like this: http://www.amazon.com/Alushield-Aer...LNXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299950828&sr=8-1 I think that infection would be the biggest threat, chickens are otherwise amazingly resiliant and can recover from really horrible injuries. Besides the antibacterial treatment, just keeping him comfortable, warm, protected, and well-nourished will do wonders.

While he heals, plan & construct new housing that will keep these roosters away from each other from now on.

6. TwoByTwo

Jan 20, 2011
    Western KY
    So if he does get an infection what can I do for him? I have small children and have left over antibiotics. Could I give him like 1cc just in case. Or should I just wait and see how he does.

7. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I would wait and see if it is necessary. My boys have went head to head before and bloodied themselves pretty good and no infections. Just keep the wounds clean and he should be fine. Avoid using peroxide, use just once to flush debris out, but repeated usage will kill newly formed skin cells and will take a lot longer to heal. Diluted iodine is best, to the color of weak tea. Neosporine without pain relief and bag balm are good to use. If you keep him in the house where he will not get dirt in the wounds, you will probably not even see infection. I would avoid using human antibiotics, just because I wouldn't be sure of the dose, and that you need to use specific antibiotics for specific bacteria. (You wouldn't want to use a respriatory antibiotic for a wound) If you ended up needing to use one, pen G would be what I would use, it is for wound infections.

8. Sheepy

Sheepy Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2009
    Sounds like your doing the right thing for the wounds. I would think about maybe separating the roosters, I had 3 roosters I loved, but they couldn't get along, so we had to do the right thing for them, and give 2 away. We're friends with their new owners, and they look a lot happier since they all have their own flocks to look after.

9. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by