Rooster fighting my Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Serphs, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Serphs

Serphs In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2017
    Hey, I have a 1 yr old Hen and a 6 month old Rooster. While in the coop they both started fighting. They had their neck feathers out and they were flying and clawing each other. I separated them for a bit, but the hen was bleeding from a scratch by her eye. Is this normal for a rooster? Will he stop it or will I have to get rid of him?

dunnmom likes this.
  2. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    It's normal for a cockerel that age and a grown hen to fight. He wants to mate with her but she will not let him until he demonstrates his fitness by winning the fights, and it can take a cockerel a while to do that and establish his dominance. If he is harming her or drawing blood, it is a good idea to separate them for a while. But it prolongs the fighting.

Sometimes it is best to introduce cockerels when they are older, to avoid all of this, since an older cockerel or rooster will assert himself without much fuss from the hens. Could you maybe keep them in the same area but put the male in a crate for a while? Or maybe make a little separate area with wire for him?

KikiLeigh02 and dunnmom like this.
  3. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I was wondering the same about mine. Thanks for posting the question!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How long have you had this cockerel...was he raised in the flock or brought in recently?

More info about your flock(numbers, ages, genders), your coop(size in feet by feet with pics), might help garner suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: