1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster fights :( Who to cull?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kellyseamster, Jan 12, 2013.

1. kellyseamster

kellyseamster New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    We hatched some chicks in the summer and have 2 roosters. I found them fighting yesterday and our big boy ended up losing an eye. I feel horrrrible. I don't want roosters anymore. We've had such bad experiences with them. I don't want them to kill each other, so I guess my hubby needs to cull one, or maybe both. If we cull one, should it be the injured one with no eye, or the one who was vicious? I wish there was an easier solution.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Why don't you just separate them??? Or sell the mean one???

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Give it some time. They obviously had a doozie of a fight and maybe they came to an understanding. If you have enough hens for two, there is no reason to cull just yet. You need about a dozen hens for two roos, though some will tell you that you need 10 for each roo. I find that as long as there are more than 10, both roos will get a few for his own and things will work. If you broke up the fight, they may have more to settle. I LOVE my roosters! I would keep several if they weren't so hard on the hens when they gang up together. I just got rid of 6 and kept 2 for my 29 hens. My roos get along fine, the boss ignores the other as long as he behaves and gives the boss plenty of space. Good luck and welcome to BYC!

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If you are to have one, then select based on your opinion of them before fight started.

Also, look at eye closely, it may be OK, just swollen closed.

If eye bad and bird valued in free-range setting, then cull the blinker.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If I had to choose between roosters, I'd let the instigator go, because I would not want an agressive rooster to get that trait in any chicks he fathers. But, check that eye - if it's just swollen shut, he may recover. But there is a concern that the rooster wouldn't be able to protect his flock without binocular vision.

6. kellyseamster

kellyseamster New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    I will definitely check his eye. Maybe you are right and it's still there. They free-range in the warmer months but I'm not so sure about that anymore since we had a hawk attack right before winter began. I have 10 hens, so maybe I don't have enough to go around for the 2 roosters. In the past we had a really nasty rooster and he attacked us badly. I'm not sure why our roos are so mean.

Rebecca, we only have one coop/pen and who would want to buy a mean rooster unless they were going to cull it anyway?

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The rule of thumd tossed around with respect to sex ratio was developed for confined production flocks used for producing hatching eggs. Normal operational sex ratio of wild chickens (jungle fowl) can be be one to at most four females in a harem. Your should be able to realize an intermediate ratio if flock can be encourage to bust up a little with more than one location to get food and loaf while avoiding elements.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by