1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster finally went for my husband

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by columbiacritter, Jan 24, 2009.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    For some reason my huge white cochin rooster has always given my husband I wide berth while consistently attacking me! I've done all the netting, carrying, hanging upside down to get at least occasional periods of peace between us, but they've never lasted long. Since I do 95% of the work with the birds he and I interact a lot. My DH thought it was hilarious to watch me chasing this big roo around the pasture trying to whack him with a rake.

Well today he finally decided to challenge my husband. I looked up to see my husband yelling, "You stu--d S--t!" While chasing the roo around and around inside the run. Apparently the roo had attacked the DH from behind while he was cleaning waterers. Finally the roo ran through the main door of the coop. He almost made it out the pop door when the DH nabbed him from behind. Oh the sounds that bird made while being hauled backward through that door!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] He thought he was headed for that big deep fryer in the sky. [​IMG]

It got even funnier. As he DH was carrying the screaming big roo out of the coop one of the mini roos started flogging him about the ankles and boot tops. I don't know if he was trying to defend the big roo or just getting into the spirit of the brawl, but I had to step in when he flew up and started stomping on my DH's head!

All the roos wer unharmed except for their dignity. We'll see how they act tomorrow. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. kenman

kenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    What a scene! Thanks for the laugh!

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    LoL

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I had a good chuckle at the lil roo flogging.... they sure can be full of piss & vinegar!!!!!!!!!!

I never let a roo get too big for his "britches" , they can be dangerous. Hopefully they will remember today.......

Julie [​IMG]

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:The Cochin is so low to the ground and heavy he can't really hit higher than mid calf. The DH said it was like being hit with a 5lb sack of flour. He's still young enough to barely have nubbins for spurs. If he lives long enough to grow out spurs He'll get those cut off regularly.

The one benefit of him is he's sooooo big and white we can look out the living room window and see where most of the hens are by spotting him. The Wyandottes and orps just disappear into the brush. People driving up our road have slowed downa nd pointed at him when he's walking around the front yard like chicken 'zilla. He makes me want Jersey giants.

6. motherbear

motherbear Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    CA Gold Country
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the giggles!!

7. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    How fun young foo [​IMG]

8. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    That is hilarious!!!!!!

9. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    I have my Labrador Retriever, Bear. She always kept the ducks and chickens in line. No other animal is allowed near me. She is very possessive. We'll see how she does with the new flock.

Doug

10. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    [​IMG] you have any pictures of this? holy cow a video of it would be a contender for America's Funniest Home Video I'd think... This is too funny, thanks for sharing......

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by