Rooster flogging Grandson...chicken dinner coming soon!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by The Chicken People, Oct 19, 2009.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    My Rooster is just plain mean and keeps trying to flog my Grandson..looking for advice on killing method..Whats the best way? We have withheld food for 24 hours..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I simply HATE roosters that " FLOOG" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  3. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Okay So I cant type ..lol!

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I made a killing cone and nailed it to a tree. It was a one gallon jug (like a milk or bleach jug) with the bottom cut off, and the top cut big enough so the head and comb would fit through. Then, I just slit the throat, let them bleed out, and get them ready to scald. I boil a big pot of water, pour it into a 5 gallon bucket, and dip them in it, then a quick dip in a cool water bucket. Then, I hang them on the clothesline and pluck them. I cut their heads off and gut them in the kitchen.

Good luck!

Shelly

5. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:LOL .. sorry, couldn't resist .. Now that you fixed it, it makes my post look like .. DUH!

6. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I am having a hard time with this one...I bought pullets as day old chicks and he was one of my favorites! My husband told me to have water ready when he gets home..he will take him for a walk out back...he thinks I am gonna pluck it but I dont think so I will do meaties next year but this ones different!

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I do know what you are going through. I had my favorite one but he started attacking all of us. I got him from a friend on here, and I was scared to tell her what I was did. But, I couldn't rehome him. If he would draw blood on me by biting, he would rip a kid to shreds.

It was a last minute decision while I was killing some other roos. I felt worse about kicking him away than quickly slitting his throat. You know what I mean? I had other roos the same age, and he wasn't even the top or bottom of the pecking order. I don't know what made him aggressive, because some times he would come up for us to hold him, then other times when you would think he was wanting love, he'd attack us. It was hard, but I haven't regretted doing it.

My friend, I told her, she was shocked because she saw how friendly he was with me, but she understood. Her kids were younger than mine and she couldn't take him. It has to be done, sometimes. I just see that it's better than constantly kicking or knocking him away, or keeping him in a cage. He wouldn't be happy that way, and we couldn't be constantly on the lookout.

Good luck,

Shelly

8. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    He has been kicked and kept caged alone for his behaviors and yes I kicked him because he was face to face with my 17 month old grandson! I am letting my husband do this job! I feel better knowing it will be quick and everyones dying to eat him so its not a waste! I just wish I could keep him for mating! I want babies this spring!

9. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Jobs done!

10. Sam208

Sam208 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    I just use the chop and drop works every time.

sam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by