rooster flogging

ms molly

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
NE Alabama
DH and I went out of town and had son to care for chickens. 2 YO grandaughter was feeding chickens when one of the roos flogged her. Then the same roo went after her dad! He has never done anything like that. Is it normal for roos to get mean as they get older? Our chickens are all 11 months old.

Hormones are kicking in; it's almost Spring. He's also growing into being a rooster and is protecting his flock. It's not a good idea to have a very small child in the run with a roo at all unless you're RIGHT THERE within inches of the child. If the rooster's not used to the little girl or your son, he may not be thinking of them as above him on the pecking order rank. Go to Rooster-Red's behavior modification page; it has some GREAT information on it.

Our roo was the same age when he started to flog my two boys (1 & 5). Before that he was fine with them. It was like it started over night. Here is my son in his "roo gear" lol
21411_picture_074.jpg

21411_picture_071.jpg

is that a delaware? Our delaware is a real jerk. My 6 year old son caught him by the tail tonight..... he was super lucky that the roo didn't turn around and get him. My son was in some trouble, but not as much as the roo would have been had he acted up.

Quote:
It happens, but I wouldn't say it's normal for a roo to attack humans. Many roos never do. But, little kids, being so much smaller, might be seen as rival roos by a rooster. They aren't that much bigger than the roos. Chickens aren't very bright creatures, they are all instinct and very little brain.

I would advise one to never leave a small child out with roosters around, even one that's never been a problem before. It's just not worth the risk. Not even with "rooster gear" which is cute and protects his scull and eyes, and most of his body, but would not prevent injury to his hands or lower part of his face.

I'd eat offending roos. I eat the extra ones, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom