Rooster for sale

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jaltheide, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Jaltheide

Jaltheide In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2019
    Hey everyone I am new to chickens. My wife and I recently started raising chickens and one of our Silician Buttercups turned out to be a Rooster. Now in my area in VA, Roosters are not aloud. The store said to bring it back and I will get my money back. But that doesn't include the time and money spent into raising it 3 months now. So I want to sell it. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I start that process?

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  3. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    Welcome!

4. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    Don’t expect to get a lot for him, most people just get rid of roosters for free.

5. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    If can’t sell. Can go to forums and put under free rehoming thread and list your location. Good Luck! Welcome to BYC! :welcome

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck in re-homing your rooster!

7. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I'm sorry to say but you are unlikely to get anything for him unless he is a rare breed in demand as there is an overabundance of roosters available.

8. Jaltheide

Jaltheide In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2019
    Sicilian Buttercup is rare in my area. Already have two farms looking at getting him he is only 12 weeks old. The place we got him assured us that they were all females and if one was a male they would buy it back.... My thing is I have spent all this time raising him. They aint going to pay for that time and money on feed. That is where I hoping someone will buy him for a some what of a price all things considered.

9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    If you have a few local farms interested in buying him, then there's your solution. Don't expect to get more than you paid unless it's some sort of show quality bird.

In most areas even very rare breed cockerels have no value beyond being dinner.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    To sell him through "BYC buy,sell,trade " forum you need 20 posts in order to participate in this free service.

Folks are usually thrilled IF they can sell or rehome a cockerel/rooster. They don't expect to get back what it cost to raise them. There are a glut of cockerels/roosters on the market - most will end up getting eaten and usually are just given away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: