Rooster found dead today :(

emmabelema

Hatching
Apr 18, 2016
Tulsa, OK
Hi, I've been a frequent reader of this site for the last year but tonight is my first post. A little over a year ago I got two chicks in hopes of having a couple of hens to lay eggs. Well once they matured I was surprised to find I had two roosters. It wasn't until a month ago that I rehomed one of the roosters. The one I rehomed was an aggressive White Silkie. The one I kept was a Polish who I really enjoyed. I had named him Tilly and he was just so funny in everything he did. He was sweet and never aggressive towards me. a little over a week ago I brought home a 12 month old hen to accompany him. They seemed to be doing great. Last night and this morning we had a lot of rain and when I went out this afternoon to check on the two of them I was shocked and horribly saddened to find Tilly out in the yard dead. I looked him over and didn't see any signs of trauma. It was very sad for me. My hen, Hattie seemed fine just walking around doing the usual. I was very caught off guard by my beloved roosters death. He hadn't shown any signs of illness. What could have happened? He was a sweet pet and will be missed. Will my hen be lonely until I find others to join her?

Welcome to BYC...sorry for your loss.

Are you sure he had no wounds on him at all? Look down beneath all feathers.
He could have been hit by a hawk who then got scared off before eating.

The new hen may have brought in some disease, they can carry some diseases without showing symptoms.
It could have been such a quick killer that he didn't show any symptoms before succumbing.
Only way to know for sure would be to have a necropsy done at your vet or the state labs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom