1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster found dead???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Heron's Nest Farm, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    So Tuesday As I headed out towards the coop to shut the pen door I heard a commotion in the hen house. I was about 100 feet from the house so I called my dog as he will run down a predator if there is one.

My dog found nothing as I approached. Upon entering the hen house I found my prized blue orpington rooster dead on the floor. He was very warm and I believe he had just died.

There were no signs of injury on him. Not a scratch and I looked! I even looked at him again in the morning as I took him to the house and kept him for burial the next day.

Any thoughts? Should I be worried about the rest of my flock? Everyone is eating, although the hen who had hatched his chicks suddenly gave up mothering them a few days after. (They were kinda co-parenting. The chicks slept under HIM at night!)

So sad. I really loved him and he was an amazing specimen. He was extremely large, about 15lbs. Maybe his heart?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Sorry you lost the big guy.

Yes, probably cardiac. If so inclined, before you bury the fella, perform a gross necroscopy, check for occlusion of trachea by foreign object/matter, & focus on obvious distentions/discoloration/etc (particularly the heart - cardiac arrest often leaves portion of the muscle discolored). Knowing might provide a little solace.

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG] It's so hard losing a precious baby. I don't have any advice but I didn't want to read and run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by