Rooster found True Love...Uh Oh!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Jan 17, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have a polish crested rooster, Bobblehead and a Brown Leghorn, Raptor, plus 8 other various chickens. Bobblehead does not care AT ALL about any hen but Raptor. The others can be scattered hary cary all over the yard, but if Raptor is not with him, he FREAKS OUT. He will run the fence, crow and cluck frantically if she is outside or laying an egg and he is not with her. When he finally finds her, he follows her around like a lost puppy, clucking happily and forgetting all about any other bird.

She is also, incidently, the only one I have ever see him mate, though the others will squat for him whenever he passes. Raptor is also the hen that plucks out all of Bobblehead's head feathers.

Hmmmm...is this the true meaning of hen-pecked husband? Can a rooster actually be in love with one hen?

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Absolutely! Sounds like he's found his soul-mate... [​IMG]

3. Thegrayeyedgirl

Thegrayeyedgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    I've never heard of a monogomous rooster before..very sweet:love

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That sounds adorable.

My Carl has his favorites for his randy activities, but he has a favorite hen he adores. He will do the Rooster Dance of Love for her, and she can - and often! - refuse his advances. He doesn't care. He snags another passing lady. He puts on the full Dance for Rebecca, but often just grabs Lacey for a bit of a tussle. Sometimes he'll do an abbreviated Dance of Love for another hen, but Rebecca is his true love. (So, no, he's not monogamous.) However, he snuggles with Rebecca, she gets Best Roost Spot next to him, he lets her pick at his beard feathers, and he will lovingly pick bits of stuff out of her face feathers.

5. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Greyeyes.... I love your bottom message. My dh says I'm turning into a chicken hoarder... I only have 10, with plenty of room, but I've got some waiting to hatch and am on the prowl for a few more rare breeds. They are certainly an addicting habit.

6. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    And my friends are TOTALLY tired of hearing about my latest "chicken news"

7. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Uh you guys are lucky [​IMG] I wish my rooster loved one special hen, the only thing Ive actually saw him love was today I brought out some treats, and there was corn on the ground, and he grabbed one started doing his "deep happy cluck" and started to sing to it, then he walked around with it, then ate it.... I think thats the only thing ive saw him love.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:You can say that again! (But don't have to.) [​IMG]

9. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Well, I have an Easter Egger rooster that is in a run with 12 Easter Egger hens and I ha ve three buff colored hens thrown in there for the time being. He will mate with all the buff hens before he will the Easter Egger. I have decided hew doen't care for bearded ladies.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by