1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster friends are starting to fight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elizabethjg, May 1, 2017.

1. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    I have a pet barred rock capon (1.5 years old) and a light brahma rooster (8/9 months) who are best friends. I raised the light brahma from a chick right next to my capon and they have never had fighting problems. Just two days ago, the lightbrahma chased my capon into a corner and pecked his head until he was bleeding, and the capon did nothing to protect him self. They have been seperated, but is this something they can sort out themselves?
    Is it because the brahma now wants to be dominant?

2. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    Yep it probably is.
    I had two cockerels that were brothers and had lived together their whole life.Then, the day after my mother let some of her hens free-range, I found one of the cockerels hiding in a corner of the ark they lived in. The cockerel was covered in blood and would've been killed if I hadn't taken it away. It's all to do with the pecking order and wanting to be the top.

-Jet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by