Rooster from a batch of sexed chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Berlinswhimsy, May 31, 2008.

1. Berlinswhimsy

Berlinswhimsy New Egg

May 31, 2008
    Hi all---I am new here and love this site! We are raising a flock of chickens and they are 7 weeks old now. Within our flock, we have four Leghorns that were "sexed" when we bought them as chicks. One of the Leghorns has a much taller comb that is a deeper red color and seems to be the leader of the flock. We are wondering if this chicken (my kids call him/her 'Macho) is a Rooster. Can a Rooster show up in a batch of "sexed" chicks? Macho has not crowed yet and his/her tail feathers are not longer than the other Leghorns but Macho looks different than all the rest...

Thanks for your help!

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Oh ya happens all the time! They are not 100% you can get a roo or sometiems TWO in your shipped sexed order

3. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Colorado
    Yep. Out of 19 sexed chicks, I had 3 roosters. But I was secretly glad. Our remaining two roosters are wonderful. And it's still worth it, to me, to get sexed chicks. 3 out of 19 is better than the possible 50% males with unsexed chicks.
    It is still possible that Macho is female. I had a light Brahma that had a large, red comb early on, and I was thinking she was a he. But it doesn't sound promising, if Macho looks so much different than the others. Can you keep a rooster?

4. Berlinswhimsy

Berlinswhimsy New Egg

May 31, 2008
    Thanks for your help! I read some other info on this site about roosters and Macho fits a lot of the other criteria, too (sturdier legs, different stature, comb so different). My kids will be happy if Macho is a rooster----Macho is one of their favorites. Macho is a lot friendlier than many of our other chickens. (We also have a Frizzle that is so cute and friendly, too).

We're having so much fun with our chickens!

5. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Colorado
    Our roosters were friendlier also, and still are. I think it's just their nature, to be bolder than the females. Have fun with him!

6. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    out of our spring order. we got 6 roo's out of 25 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by