1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster frostbite on BOTH feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hannah Bj, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Hannah Bj

Hannah Bj New Egg

Jan 22, 2014
    I'm new here so,bare with me!

I went out to check on our chickens one night and our rooster wasn't looking good at all.
    Both his feet were frostbit pretty bad,I've been soaking his feet twice a day for 30 mins,in Epsom salt,putting Neosporin on legs/toes too.His blister popped on the one foot,now they smell (I know that is NOT a good sign) but,I also noticed the smell has gone down a bit,the swelling as well,he can close his toes on the one foot.He has blackening to his toes,I'm sure he'll lose those..I see new skin under where it popped,looks very much alive.He's eating/drinking normally,I've been giving him scrambled eggs and electrolytes in his water.He's bright in the eyes,he's always on clean bedding (inside) and if he goes down hill I won't let him suffer..just going by how he looks right now.

Any help is welcome.

No rude answers please,just be honest and anyone else has dealt with this..please do share!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It doesn't sound as if his feet were completely frozen. If that were the case, it would be far worse. He will lose the blackened portions, but will probably be OK otherwise. Some folks use 2 X 4 roosts with the 4" side up so that the birds are sure to sit on and cover their feet. This does not always happen on smaller, rounded roosts. Sounds as if you are doing all the right things with him.
    Oops edited to say, "Welcome to BYC."

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Hannah Bj

Hannah Bj New Egg

Jan 22, 2014
    He's doing very good..high hopes for his right leg..it looks very good! 3 of the toes look alive,his left leg not much hope..toes all look dead :( the skin and scales are coming off and new skin under it all looks very nice.We gave him a shot of Penicillin last night.

5. Hannah Bj

Hannah Bj New Egg

Jan 22, 2014
    We have a roost,He just choose not to roost that night..I'm thinking mites were playing a role..I treated him for that.Thank's for your help and input! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  6. Hannah Bj

Hannah Bj New Egg

Jan 22, 2014
    Well his feet are to far gone..no way he'd live happily after all this,even though he was a pain in the rear last summer..I found myself crying.Thanks for all your guys help.

7. roxysmydog

roxysmydog Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Chesterfield Twp, MI
    Hugs. I have three young roos that have frostbitten feet. I just brought them inside and am afraid I might need to out the worst one out of his misery. :( The 5 young females are fine. I don't know why the roos got
    It so bad.

8. WitchyWomanWV

WitchyWomanWV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2013
    Frederick, Md
    Before you toss in the towel, take a peek at some of the other frostbite threads! Apparently the vast majority of birds who lose toes and even feet seem to readily adapt. Maybe they should avoid free ranging but as long as they're (seemingly) happy and pain/infection free, a wait and see approach might work out okay! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by