Rooster froze last night - Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mountain Bear, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Mountain Bear

Mountain Bear Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    From all I have read, chickens do ok in cold weather if they have good air movement. We have been having very cold weather the last 4 days (as low as 0 F at night). I have 8 birds that have all been doing fine except one rooster. He insists on perching up high by himself at night and I very rarely see him come down to eat.
    This morning I found him curled up in the litter, I picked him up and he was very unresponsive. He wouldn't eat or drink even when I forced his beak into the warm water (like you do for chicks). Is there anything I can do? Or anything I can feed him to perk him up?
    I am nearly 100% sure this is because of the cold and not an injury or disease. They are about 1 year old.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I'm sorry about your rooster. Were there of other signs of problems in his health.... I would isolate him and put under a heat lamp and see if that would restore him. I understand that adding corn to the diet helps with body temps as well. Is your coop blocked from wet and rain?

3. Mountain Bear

May 26, 2012
    The coop is inside a barn, that is rain, snow and draft proof except there is a little drifting snow in front of the access hatch to the outdoors, which I keep closed all winter (unless we get really nice weather). I didn't notice anything other than he didn't move around a lot and I vary rarely saw him by the feed or water. One day i picked him off the perch and placed him by the feed (3grain scratch), he was active and ate. the next morning he was back on his perch which is 3 feet off the ground with no steps up to it.
    I have brought him into the basement in a box. he is very weak but does try to eat a little.
    Not looking good.

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I hope he pulls through! We've had some problems this week because of some very cold weather we had, too. Try to keep him hydrated (add electrolytes if you have them). He might also eat some scrambled eggs to give him a little boost, too.

Let us know how he does!

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    good advice SIMZ! If you have availability of VET RX, it might be helpful to encourage as well..... If you listen, can you hear any respiratory change at all in him???? So praying and hoping he will have a recovery for you!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Poor boy. Hopefully the heat and electrolytes will perk him up. Good luck!

7. Mountain Bear

May 26, 2012
    I may have been to quick to diagnose. After some online research and a review of the facts it is possible he has a compacted crop. Here is my review:

He had been on his perch for quite some time without me seeing him eat. After a few days I lifted him down and he went straight for the food. Then today I noticed he was not back on his perch and assumed he had been hit by the cold. I can feel his crop and it is full. he still has no energy. I have read that if they eat too much they can get blocked. anyone have experience with this?

I have been giving olive oil and massaging his crop. I have no interest in performing surgery even though it looks straight forward. A vet is out of the question as well.

8. Mountain Bear

May 26, 2012
    He just died. Hadn't eaten for 24 hours and I could feel a full crop so I am guessing that is what it was.

9. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm so, so sorry. You did the best you could to help him. [​IMG]

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do your other chickens have access to poultry grit? If they don't free range outside they probably need some. I would also switch their feed from scratch (only 8% protein) to a 16-20% poultry feed like layer or flock raiser. Scratch probably doesn't provide enough protein for winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by