Rooster frustrations !!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Barbara kulig, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Barbara kulig

Barbara kulig Chirping

Dec 13, 2018
    So this is my first year of owning chickens we raised six baby chicks last spring I ended up with two roosters leaving me with four chicken. So of course the obvious happened as the roosters matured they no longer got along and the one really hurt the other one which was my favorite and of course the one that was nasty as my husband favorite, Scotch back to health separated the two roosters gave Generalalso his two girls and Scotch his two girls free range but put General and his girls closed in no more free range. Feel bad but he was nasty and chased me all the time. Scared of the dang thing.
    Generals coop wasn't winterized good enough so I had to put two coops in one shed that I turned into coop. Wire fence separating them no chance of getting at each other but all the sudden now mr. Nasty is attacking one of his girls and she's actually the same breed. as him,silverlaced . It's winter time I don't have anywhere else to put her and it's Christmas time I really don't want to bring her inside I'm trying to find a home farm for him. Yes I eat chicken I love chicken but I cannot eat my own chicken that I raised . I noticed that she has some gashes near face from him so I should probably take her out but can I leave her in with the other rooster and his two hens or will he attack her too?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  2. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Like the old saying goes...there's no good reason to keep a mean rooster. If he's attacking one of his ladies, he needs to go.

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.
    This is a good "rooster" read:
    Beekissed's Rooster Speak
    This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

4. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    christmas chicks.png

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I would remove the nasty cockerel and keep him in a crate until he leaves your property. Rehome him immediately. You already have a nicer one. Hopefully he will stay that way.
    You just cannot have your cockerel hurting you OR the pullets.
    You will need to clean up and disinfect any wounds on the pullet and remove all blood. If she is not actively bleeding, she can go back in with Mr. Nasty's other pullet.
    If the two mini-flocks have been routinely mingling together, you could just remove the partition in your coop. They should be okay together.

6. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Agree, he's got to go as soon as it is feasible. I think the hens would be welcome in your nicer guy's harem. You'll have a little catfighting from his ladies but it will pass. The nice fella will happily pick up the mean dummie's slack.:)

7. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Crowing

May 23, 2016
    Mr Nasty should get the boot and/or the Axe! I would put him up on craig's list and let someone have him and do what they will. they will likely be making a meal out of him which really is likely the only realistic eventuality. there is no changing the temperament of a bad rooster, you get what you get and sometimes you have to cull. I would just give him to someone else and try not to think about it too much.

8. Barbara kulig

Barbara kulig Chirping

Dec 13, 2018
    I
    It's late and I dont have anything to put him in. What would happen if I kept him in the cage coop and brought the 2 girls out? Will the nicer rooster attack because shes hurt and acting funny?

9. Barbara kulig

Barbara kulig Chirping

Dec 13, 2018
    I

10. Barbara kulig

Barbara kulig Chirping

Dec 13, 2018
    They dont interact cuz I've had them separated. They see eachother obviously through fence .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: