rooster gasping for breath

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ctjim, Jun 2, 2008.

1. ctjim

ctjim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    lebanon,ct
    need some help asap my 1yr old aracuana x roo started gasping for breath and weezing when he breathes. he was doing fine up until yesterday evening i noticed he seemed a bit lethargic and not his usual self this afternoon i got home and went to let them out to range and he was standing still in the run and gasping for air and one of the other hens was pecking at his neck, i now have him seperated from the others and i'm not sure what to do we gave him some water charged w/ asv and he took it right down. he has no discharge from his eyes or nostrils. i haven't wormed them since i got them last year could it be gape worm? i looked down his throat but it didn't seem to have any obstructions. any help would be great. hopefully he will survive, he's really a beautiful bird even though he can be a pain. i would hate to put him down, but even more i hate to see him suffer which i think is happening now.

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    seems awful sudden for gapeworm though entirely possible...other things might also be causing this [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by