Rooster gets in way

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MoreChickensPlz, May 31, 2016.

1. MoreChickensPlz

MoreChickensPlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Texas
    Every time my hen tries to go to her spot to lay my rooster gets in her spot before her...
    Anyone know why hes doing this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's a trait some birds have, the males are showing the females an appropriate nesting place. I think there's some courting element.."Look what a good provider I am, I found this perfect spot for you to lay eggs and raise our children" [​IMG].

My hens never seemed that impressed, they just kind of tolerated the behavior and then the were "Would you get out of here already and let me get down to business!".

3. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwww! That's so cute!!

4. MoreChickensPlz

Apr 19, 2016
    Texas
    It's funny cause when he dances for that hen she does it right back and when he mates her she gets mad and tries to do it back to him... She's bossy and independent haha I just get annoyed when shes annoyed with him in the way. His lady has been gone for a long time now since she was broody and hatched babies and is still taking care of them. Thanks for responding back so quickly.

5. sweetbeak

sweetbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

My rooster does the exact same thing, and he has 14 ladies to support. He spends half his day in and out of the nesting boxes

6. MoreChickensPlz

Apr 19, 2016
    Texas
    Haha must be exhausting having to tend to so many ladies, he sounds like a good man

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by