Rooster getting aggressive - any hope?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dracoonfly, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Dracoonfly

Dracoonfly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    My Silver Spangled Hamburg roo has recently started getting aggressive. He's 7 months old and follows me around like he's after me, but only bites occasionally at shoes or pants. He used to be a lot more timid. I know Hamburgs aren't known for being very sociable, but is there anything I could do to make him less defensive?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    A good hard kick...he needs to know that you are the dominant rooster. They only learn that one way...well not just kicking you could haul him around, do other things....but you gotta be dominant and not take anything from him

3. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    You don't have to kick him to show dominance... I pin mine to the ground (by pushing on his back and holding his wings) until he calms down and can see that I'm boss. Then I'll pick him up and carry him around for a while.

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yep, you need to show you are dominant by one means or another. If you search, there are many posts on this, along with this thread, they may give you some really good ideas on handling the miscreant.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by