1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Rooster getting annoying...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherryvalleychicks, Jul 11, 2010.

1. cherryvalleychicks

cherryvalleychicks In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    We have 18 chickens, that range in age from 17-12 weeks and 2 of our small 12 week old Cochin have shown their true colors and like to wake us up at 5 am with a loud crow. I have a few questions for all you chicken experts out there, since this is our first time doing this~

First of all~ we have a couple of other birds that are a LOT bigger than "Feather foot" (one of the male cochin's) and we think these other birds might be males. BUT, they are not crowing like the cochins, they are a lot bigger too (RIR, Barred Rock, and a Maran that I think might be...) These other one's are not as pushy as Feather Foot? Could they still be males, just not as aggressive?

Second, Feather Foot is getting really really pushy to our 17 week old Partridge Plymouth Rock Hens. He's a lot smaller than them, and they don't care for him much. He grabs at their necks, they run and he holds on or chases them. He's not sucessfully getting on them. He's also chasing the other girls around a lot too. Is this normal behaviour? He seems like such a "cocky" bird~ kinda a jerk!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions [​IMG]

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    He's just a teenager [​IMG] and hasn't gotten the manners part down yet I have found that my roosters prefer their own kind and the same with the hens they squawk if the "wrong" rooster gets too close and I hated the neck grabbing but as the Roo gets older it calms down on the pinching and some of them turn out to be wonderful herding their girls back to where they belong showing them "good stuff" and my Cuckoo sings a great egg song even fixes up the nest for them sings and waits for them quite the gentleman

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. cherryvalleychicks

cherryvalleychicks In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks so much for the info! I'm telling my husband to let him be for a while~ we do have one for sure female cochin. She's the baby of the group, so hopefully when she grows up her and feather foot can get along well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by