Rooster getting pecked. Help!

billwoos

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 29, 2007
Have a flock of 7 hens, 3 Silver Laced Wyandotts and 4 Buff Orpingtons. Two roosters, a big Buff Orpington and a Golden Laced Wyandott. The hens are laying great, all seemed to be getting along. Have not been able to determine which cock is the king. They just get along. This afternoon, while checking on them all I noticed that ALL of the hens were pecking at the butt of the Wyandott rooster and coming away with beaks covered with blood. I caught the rooster and his tail if just raw bloody meat from the pecking. I moved him to a small run that I used to use for Chuckars and isolated him. He seems to be fine, but his behind is a bloody mess. What do you suggest I do now, I would hate to cull him.....his name is Floyd.... but the housing can be only temporary, we have snow coming this weekend. What medication, if any should I use now? When - if he heals - can I safely return him to the flock?
Any advice appreciated. Please email me at [email protected]
Thanks!
Bill

I'm no expert but I read the other day, that when the King Roo gets beat out by the other for position, he moves to the bottom of the rank, and everybody takes their turn pecking at him. That might be what happened. They might have just been taking their jabs, and then leave him alone now.

Hi Bill,
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I'd flush the area with saline solution, if there are open sores I'd apply some neosporin ointment and let him heal awhile. Before putting him back with the flock I'd spray the area with blukote, and would wait until they roost before slipping him in with them.

Good luck.

U did right in getting him out of the pen. Once they draw blood, they won't quit. Let him heal but probably better to have one rooster if they don't get along.

Yep its the blood! Dont know how it started but once the blood comes it wont stop, its a chicken thing. Once he stops bleeding you can probably put him back in with the others just watch and see why the pecking started in the first place, Might have been the the buff roo that started it. but the hens and everyone else will continue once they see the blood!
randy

Last edited:
I am almost ready to agree. I had hoped to have the Golden Laced Wyandott/Buff Orp cross next spring but it is looking like "Floyd" is headed for the cooking pot. What a shame cause he is such a cool looking bird. When I picked these breeds, it was because the temperments were supposed to be so similar, and so gentle. The Silver Laced Wyandots have proven to be evil.. not kidding... really nasty birds. The Orps are much friendlier and easy to handle. Both breeds of hens were all over this poor rooster tho... We will see what happens over the next few days, will keep you informed.
Thanks!
Bill

I'm agreeing with everyone else. When chickens see the blood they don't stop pecking it until you remove the bird from the flock. Keep him away from the flock until he heals and be sure to put neosporin on it every day. After he is all healed put him in at night and make sure in the morning they aren't drawing blood again. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom