Rooster Goes to Bed Early

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swampducks, Aug 30, 2008.

1. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I've got 4 barred rock chickens 13 weeks old. Three are cockerels but one has the larger comb, wattles and tries to crow (badly, and not till after 7:30 am). The other 2 look identical to each other.

When free ranging the larger one almost always goes to roost in the coop 30 minutes to an hour before the others. He even beats the 2 guineas.

Is this odd? Normal? Is he a weird chicken? He's the one who'll nip at your fingers too. The others are much more passive.

2. paul65

paul65 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    I have 16 chickens an 5 are australorps and 3 of them are always the first in the coop they go in at least 45 mins before everone else i think they do it to beat the rush lol.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    my buff orpington rooster goes to "bed" about 30 minutes before my buff rock rooster who is alpha. He goes in and gets on his roost and stays there. While the rock goes in and out repeatedly towards dusk. I'm guessing my orpington likes to get his spot and not be in the way of the alpha rooster. Maybe your roosters think the same way. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have one that goes in early. I think so she can get her spot. She is always in the same place, where the others are not.

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Mine go to bed at different times too. The older girls go in first, sometimes an hour before the others, followed by the roos, then the "dutch girls". The BOs and EEs are usually the last in. Usually they all roost in the same spot each night. Tonight they're all over the place. I wondered why then my DH told me that the 6 year old was checking on them after they were all in bed. He must have disturbed them and they shuffled around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by