Rooster Going After Ducks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cash Farm Girl, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Cash Farm Girl

Cash Farm Girl New Egg

Aug 31, 2011
    Help! One of my roosters insists on going after my 5 mixed-breed ducks...to try to MATE!!! He goes after the boys and girls!!! Can I stop it at all? I yell at him and try to "spank" him when I'm in the run when it happens - my BF just laughs! [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    lol you sure you don't want a duck billed chicken? Can you pen him away from them for a while? Maybe with ladies of his own kind to reset his "prefferences"? It seems like for the most part, chickens are fairly easy to reprogram [​IMG]

3. Cash Farm Girl

Cash Farm Girl New Egg

Aug 31, 2011
    Oh, he goes after the girl chickens, too...I have 3 roosters but he's the only one who bothers the ducks...a friend told me some are just "more interested" than others...separating really isn't an option right now, so I hope the ducks learn how to stand up for themselves! The poor things just try to run away from him! [​IMG]

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    LOL do they have a pond they can get away from him in?

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I had an EE roo who loved my turkey hen. Literally.....loved her, every chance he got. He was the low guy on the totem poll, so I guess he got it where he could. You could pen him away for a while, that might help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by