rooster going after younger hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by one slick chic, Aug 11, 2011.

1. one slick chic

one slick chic Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    lake hopatcong, nj
    So I have a Silkie roo (fluffy), he is about 16 weeks old. He is gorgeous and the only roo I kept out of four because he is such a sweetie. Well, now he doesn't shut up but I want to try to keep him. This all depends on the neighbors. But today I noticed my RIR (calm girl) which is only about 8 weeks old having a couple little "bald" spots. Fluffy was already out in the coop but as soon as calm girl left the hen house fluffy went after her. Next thing I know he is staring at me with a bunch of brown feathers in his beak!
    Now I have three that are 16 weeks old then got three replacements after getting rid of roos, they are the younger ones. Right now I have two flocks, but they are starting to get along better. I do think fluffy is starting to mount when he can but she is just to young...its wrong! Any suggestions beside getting rid of him?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Maybe you could move her to another flock or area until shes older and ready.[​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Place him in a separate pen until th pullets mature. At this point in the game, she is the easiest "target."

4. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    I am so glad you started this thread! My only adult laying hen went broody a couple of days ago. I have five other hens all around 18 weeks old. My roo is the same age as the five. Since his only adult partner is "out of service" he has been attempting to mount the other hens. They aren't laying yet, though two are squatting and showing other signs. Do I need to separate him from the girls?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by