1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster gone after two years; hens declining in egg laying suddenly. Why??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fairfeatherfriend, Jul 3, 2016.

1. fairfeatherfriend

fairfeatherfriend Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    Bothell, WA
    We currently have a flock of 9 hens, and we've had a beautiful auracana roo for two years. Just recently, (due to neighborhood discontent with his vocalization, among other antics), he found another home on a farm hours away. With the warmer weather and increased daylight, we were getting 4-6 eggs daily. Since he's been gone (two weeks now, the production has gone down to 0-2. Is this an indication that the hens are upset? And will they adapt? Or am I making up reasons that don't really exist? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Wolfstorm82

Wolfstorm82 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    Florida
    The ceramic eggs work wonders.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  3. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Yes they are probably stressed and missing him...
    I would give them a little more human attention...and some of their favorite treats,
    if you can't bring him home...
    Might also be it's hot...?
    Maybe just taking a break from laying eggs.... =)

4. fairfeatherfriend

Jun 23, 2009
    Bothell, WA
    I'll try the eggs (I've had one wooden one in there, but it's pretty yucky-looking now!) Thanks for your thoughts.

5. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    I use golf balls and the girls don't seem to notice the difference.[​IMG]

6. fairfeatherfriend

Jun 23, 2009
    Bothell, WA
    No, can't bring him home :(
    Good idea to give them a bit more TLC. We'll follow-up. Weather here in the northwest has not been too hot. I'm hoping time will work... Thanks.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

When they lose a rooster for whatever reason, they seem to go through a mourning period. My Orpington flock lost their rooster in 2012. He was 5 yrs 8 months, the only one they ever knew, and when he died, some just quit laying and never laid again. I still have one remaining hen of his who is now over 8 years old and she did not lay after he left. She did crow just like a rooster for a couple of days, but never after that. They do become attached, Ive seen, time after time, when one of my roosters passes away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by