Rooster gone bad- help?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kargo, Jan 17, 2010.

1. kargo

kargo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    My Barred Rock Cockerel is about 9 months old. I got him last year from a couple who had gotten him from a local TSC but couldn't keep him. I got him along with a RIR and BSL rooster. The BSL will occasionally bite but isn't mean. Just don't touch him. Simple enough. The RIR is the best rooster ever. He puts the girls to bed, beats off other roosters when they attack somebody, and breaks up the other two when they occasionally go at it. (There has never been any blood drawn, but the BSL and BR do ocassionally bicker.)
    The BR was a great rooster when we got him. I even have a picture of me cuddling him. A few months ago, he started attaking occasionally. Now he attacks at any chance he can get-and I mean he attack people, not chickens. He puts wholes in you. We think we're going to have to send him to the pot. In the meantime, I want to catch him and lock him in the brooder so that he won't attack us every time we walk out the house. I want advice for how to catch him without getting killed. Here's my gameplan-Wait until he's gone to bed. Then go to the shed, with several layers of gloves on, and two or three towels in my arms. Throw the towels over him, grab him, then haul him to the brooder. Do you think this will work? Got a better idea? I want to go outside now and get something out of the car but I'm scared he'll get me. How can I avoid him in the meantime?

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I think you have the right idea about getting him while he's roosting. And if he's that aggressive, the surest way i know to grab and control a rooster is to grab him by the legs and carry him upside-down. He will try to peck at your hand but quickly grow weary. And you can just hold his legs with one hand and push his head back down with the other if you want to. Upside-down sit ups aren't a rooster's strength, so there's not much he can do.

This is not how i normally carry my roosters unless they're going to be butchered, but if he's that aggressive, this would be my method for sure.

3. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    You can't avoid him if he's free ranging. If you put him int he brooder he'll probably get worse from being confined. I like a big, sturdy fishnet for catching birds. Life's too short to be scared of your own animals. Sounds like it's time for him to meet the soup pot. I'm currently educating a young Cochin roo who's not "mean", but will bite the fire out of you. If he can be educated great, if not, chicken & dumplings.

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    No need to send him to the pot, just put him in his place. Put on all the protective gear you want and/or need to catch him. Once you have him securely in your arms you walk around with him there in front of his girls...make sure you are hugging and cuddling him while you are doing so. Humiliation is the best corrective medicine for a roo gone bad. Do this once a day (at least) if possible over the course of a week. That should break him of his mean streak. It worked for our humongous partridge rock roo. Now he's a big baby. [​IMG]

5. kargo

May 8, 2009
    Quote:We've already tried that. Apparently it didn't work, because he started attacking more after we did that. We've already tried that. I'm tired of getting bit and clawed every time I walk out of the house.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  6. kargo

May 8, 2009
    Oops, sorry. Computer messed up. Didn't eman to double post.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:We've already tried that. Apparently it didn't work, because he started attacking more after we did that. I'm tired of getting bit and clawed every time I walk out of the house.

I don't blame you. You are the one who decides what you are willing to put up with. And if it's time, it's time. Do what you need to do to make your home a safe and peaceful place. That probably does not include attacking roosters in the yard.

8. kargo

May 8, 2009
    Quote:We've already tried that. Apparently it didn't work, because he started attacking more after we did that. I'm tired of getting bit and clawed every time I walk out of the house.

I don't blame you. You are the one who decides what you are willing to put up with. And if it's time, it's time. Do what you need to do to make your home a safe and peaceful place. That probably does not include attacking roosters in the yard.

It's not completely my decision, either. It's ultimately my mom's, and right now she's ready. She says she'll shoot him herself if she has to. (She doesn't even knwo how to work a gun.) And besides that, we have puppies and chicks that he could attack. I don't want him going after my little guys. And what about my friends that come over? He followed me and a friend down the driveway the other day. Not cool.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Have you though about putting the roo in a pen? That's what a lot of people do, keep their chickens locked up. Then he can't attack anyone or anything.

10. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Seems to me Kargo's Mon has a taste for chicken and noodles, not a bad finish for a nasty rooster. Catching your rooster on the roost is a good idea, wear whatever protective gear is necessary to feel safe. I am assuming you outweigh this rooster by a good bit so you should be just fine. Grab his feet and legs with one hand and use the other to push him down if he tries to curl up to peck you. He will only make one or two efforts to do this before he is done with that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by