Rooster Gone BAD!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deenamr, Aug 6, 2009.

1. deenamr

deenamr Songster

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    I am thinking this may be the end of line for Earl. I greatly appreciate that he is handsome, nice to his ladies and crows well but not too often in the morning. There are however 2 big problems that I am thinking are never going to get better. He just spent 6 weeks in isolation to let his tail feathers grow in because the hens pick them. He wasn't back with the girls for 10 minutes and they were picking his tail again. He is a silver pheonix and I think his fancy tail attracts their attention. Second issue is since he went back to his ladies yesterday he is extremely aggressive towards me. I don't know if he is mad at me for isolating him or is just showing off for his ladies but he is genuinely coming after me. When I bend over to get the eggs out of the nest boxes he is rushing in the pop door trying to jump on my face. This is a new behavior and I am a little afraid he may really hurt me. He has always been a little aggressive but now he is down right scary. I really appreciate that he has so many good rooster qualities but I don't want to end up at the plastic surgeon having my nose put back on.

Anyone think I should give him more time to return to his old ways? Should I give him more time and be more vigilant at protecting myself from him? Once they have crossed the line do they ever come back?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. ipf

ipf In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Aggressive birds just get worse. Soup is best solution. Lots of handsome roosters in the world

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  3. Sequin

Sequin Songster

May 20, 2008
    Yeah, too many good ones to waste too much time on the truly mean ones. That said, if my rooster even Tried a stunt like that I'd be yelling and snarling at him while chasing the fear into him. Might try that, see if it works. If it doesn't, nothin' aggressive about chicken noodle soup! [​IMG]

4. deenamr

deenamr Songster

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    I was hoping someone would say that he would likely settle down after the reintroduction to his girls was over. He tried to get me in the face again this morning when I was gathering eggs and filling the feeder.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  5. scooter147

scooter147 Songster

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    You really need to do something, you don't want to lose and eye.
    If you really don't want to cull him, you need to become the top roo, go after him, catch him, pick him up, carry him around by is feet for 30 seconds or so. It may or may not work, I have had some success.
    If you can't cull him, put an add on craigslist, see if you have a farm type humane society in your area or if you have a dear relative or friend that would do it for you.
    He is NOT worth losing an eye over.

6. Roy

Roy Songster

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    I thought that my rooster would settle down with age, but, he just got meaner and more aggressive. The day that he went for my face was the last straw. He hasn't given me a single problem since I shot him...

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    the rooster only have one chance with me and he would be GONE! To the stock pot of course!

No reason to carry on the mean rooster's genes on to his offsprings since I breed for good disposition in ALL of my birds.

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    My BO roo was always very nice until I had to separate him. When he was reintroduced to the flock, he became aggressive towards me for the first time ever. I tried carrying him around, being dominant, etc, but it didn't work. I gave him away on CL, and told the new owner exactly why he was being given away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: