Rooster Green Poop White Coating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LegHorn100, Oct 27, 2011.

1. LegHorn100

LegHorn100 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Hello there, I have a 9 year old pet leghorn rooster, and just three days ago he started poop almost leaf green poop with a white coating on it, if you refer to the chicken poop chart here
    http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 and see poops under the "normal" range, his is something just like that, all intact and round-ish but more leaf-bright green with a white coat on it.
    He eats, acts normal, runs up to me, drink and acts normal. Execpt all this green pooping, I think this happened before, but cant seem to remember how long it went on for..
    I checked his little nest today this morning and found all of his droppings are leaf green along with one very brown cecal poop.
    What could be making him poop normal-ish poops that are that green? I feed him seeds, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, Bread, Grapes, little pieces of meat every now and then.
    Might he be sick? Not drinking enough? I'm really not sure, and worry for him [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. A 9 year old Leghorn rooster...I'm impressed! Is he eating anything green that he could excrete the same color...grass, leaves etc...? If so, that might be your answer. Is he eating and drinking normally? If he is, I wouldnt worry about it. If he's not eating and drinking normally, he could be excreting green in color bile. That's what happens when chickens dont eat enough feed. It would also possibly mean an imbalance in the good/bad bacteria in his gut...in this case favoring the bad bacteria. To try and get the bacteria back in balance (if this is what it is), I recommend that you make a mixture of the following, then hopefully his poop will revert back to normal color: Give him scrambled egg mixed with 3 drops of poultry nutri drench and buttermilk, stir it up and let him eat it. Feed this to him 3 or 4 times a day for 3-5 days as necessary. The scrambled egg provides extra protein to build his strength, the poultry nutri drench is loaded with mineral and vitamins, and the buttermilk is an excellent probiotic for his immune system and it will coat his digestive tract unlike yogurt. Dont add too much nutri drench, it can cause diarrhea. The poultry nutri drench should be at your feed store. Do not feed him anything else while giving him this mixture. Dont add any vitamins etc...in his water nor the mixture other than what I mentioned. Adding anything else can possibly cause diarrhea.

3. LegHorn100

LegHorn100 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Thank you for your help! Well, he does eat, and I make sure he gets his meals, and I'm pretty sure he's drinking his water, but just to be safe for the next week or so I'll include giving water by hand.
    He is allowed to free range in our backyard, but he is extremely spoiled, and almost always eats only what I give him, but maybe he might have eaten some grass or what not, but I kind of doubt it.
    I'll try that recipe you gave me, and see if that gets his droopings back to normal colour if it continues through tomorrow, but other than that, he seems to be okay to me, he crows, clucks, walks up and stand on my feet. etc.
    Anyways, thanks for the help, appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by